THE TALE OF UGANDA MARTYRS HIGH SCHOOL LUBAGA.
Each new day life seems a challenge from the day that has passed. U.M.H.S.L. has passed through ups and downs for the last 46 years but perhaps we are not certain of its birth and life variations to the present day operation. How and when was U.M.H.S.L. baptized?
1964: Becomes an ordinary secondary school and picks the name Rubaga Boys Secondary School.
1973: Becomes a boarding School.
1980: Becomes a mixed school but a day school for girls.
1984: Introduction of the advanced level section with only Arts, secretarial and accountancy courses.
1986: Picks the name Uganda Martyrs High School but the ‘Rubaga’ now ‘Lubaga’ was added a little later to be identified from other schools that had picked the same name. This was around the Centenary celebrations of the 21 Uganda Martyrs.
1987: Introduction of a P.T.A.
1989: Publishes the first School’s Magazine printed by St. Joseph’s Printery –Kitovu
1995: Introduction of the Sciences at A’ Level.
1999: Construction of the water born toilets.
2000: Administration block and Dormitory burn with all property and documents.
2006: The school compound changed from a dusty one to a new look of the tarmac.
2007: U.M.H.S.L’ s own students “Museveni” emerges best country wide in the U.A.C.E national exams with slightly more than 25 points. This made a remarkable change in the increase of the number of students.
2008: Construction of the so called ‘Chogm’ toilet
2009: New Headmaster – Bro. Lawrence Kizza Baiton.
2009: The school acquires the Bus
2014: Golden Jubilee Celebrations
THE DIFFERENT HOUSE AT SCHOOL
The houses we have in the school are derived from the names of the former head teachers, apart from one; Wamala House. It is no doubt that of recent another outstanding character; Bro. Mwebe Gerald joined the band-wagon of the former head teachers. Perhaps a brief idea about them will help enlighten us their contribution to the school.
He was headmaster for about 24 years from 1964 to 1988. He is remembered for his out-standing transformation of the School from a one class-room block now turned into “Kaggwa, Mbaaga, Mugagga and Kizito dormitories” to a gigantic block where we now have the offices and classes; which according to him was supposed to be the hostel. He was the first headteacher when the School became a secondary day boys school with S. 1. And S. 2. Studying typing as well. He always encouraged his students to be loyal to themselves; to their school and above all to their parents. He died on 23/09/1991. He is lying at Kisubi Cemetery. May his Soul rest in eternal peace.
He was headmaster for about 7 years from 1989 to 1995. His concern was always to have a few students who can perform. He liked students so much that he would doubt what a teacher could say about a given student. He was the engineer behind the introduction of the Sciences at A’Level and he is remembered for the stalking of the laboratories for which equipments are still being used today. Music was inseparable from him even up to today. Sources say that he is such a sympathetic Brother that all the time he was willing to help any one and he was always with his brief case from which he could pick any amount of money asked from him. He now works at the Brothers’ Headquarters (Generalate) in Rome.
May God bless you in your mission.
He was headmaster for about 5 years; from 1996 to 2000. He was a man of change. The School remarkably improved in both discipline and academic perfomance. His reign was a time of competition with the students, the staff and the parents. This was the time when some facilities turned into dormitories, (like St. Ssebuggwawo which was a dining hall) because of the increase in the number of students. He contributed a lot in maintaining and expanding the science department with both the materials and personnel. After the administration block and the dormitory which was attached got burnt in 2000, he commenced the reconstruction of the current giant block which every one is eagerly awaiting to enter.
Brother is now working as the Director at Kisubi Brother’s University College.
He is the only one who was not a headmaster but a great friend of the school especially during his stay at Lubaga Cathedral between the years 1991 and 2007
We now introduce a new house called MWEBE HOUSE in remembrance of this great friend of ‘ours’. He was headmaster for about 8 years; from 2001 to 2009. A kind of man that didn’t loose hope especially during the times when the school had dropped in number. We will always remember his philosophy that ‘never be choosy, eat what is available’, which helped him to put the school to its feet and to make it shine brighter. He was a counselor, father, and friend to all as he encouraged the weak to become strong and the strong to work harder. According to him; every failure was an opportunity to work harder for a better tomorrow. He was such a big comedian, orator and artist. He is the most handsome man in his village. He is now the Provincial Superior of the Brothers of Christian Instruction.
Long ago, in 1940, the Brothers at Nyamitanga (Mbarara) charged with training teachers for the Primary Schools of the western Province, had trekked with the school to Ibanda, when the Training Centre was separated from the Junior Secondary School that ran parallel. But after two years stay at Ibanda they handed the training of the teachers back to the White Fathers at the end of 1941. Now, at the call of Bishop Ogez, Bishop of Mbarara, the Brothers went back to Ibanda in the April of 1966. This time it was to start a new Secondary School in this thickly populated and agriculturally rich area of Ankole. The lot to found the school fell on the ever-forceful Brother George Lord. Because many African Brothers had come from his diocese it was reasonable that they who provide the workers in the education field should also benefit from their generosity. Besides the demand of the Bishop, it was also the wish of the Ministry of Education that the Brothers embark on this new scheme in this area of Ankole.
The school, with more or less difficult beginnings, sprang up, thanks to the enterprising Brother George, Brother James Arsenault, Brother Norbert Vandal and Brother Ermel (William O’Neil), plus the other members of staff. The two classes of 1966, rose to four in 1967; and in 1968 there were six classes with two streams in the lower classes. So Ibanda School increased the number of Secondary Schools run by the Brothers. Brother George, fully backed by the Education authorities, planned the lay out of the new school and with his ever-resourceful taste for beauty, made the compound really attractive, something worthwhile for an education centre.
At the start of the 3rd year of the new school, the Lord took Brother George from the battle field of education, for he died suddenly on February 9th, 1968. His death was mourned by friends from all over Uganda. He had worked in the education field of Uganda for nearly forty years. In 1976, Brother Majella Nsubuga, while handing over the direction of the school to Brother Michael Butolwa left the school thriving on all lines: in academic work, practical agriculture and animal husbandry.
Currently, it is Brother Herman the head teacher of this school. The number of enrolment of this school is about 700 students only Boys.
ABOUT ST. HENRY'S COLLEGE KITOVU
St. Henry's College Kitovu a boys boarding government-aided secondary school founded by the White Fathers in 1922. It is located in Masaka District, 120 kms from Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. The College is located 4 kms from Masaka Town and 2 kms from the Nyendo suburbs atop the Kitovu Hill near the Kitovu Cathedral. The main school campus covers a large expanse of land. In the same vicinity are a number of schools namely Archbishop S.S.S Kitovu, Numasa S.S.S., and other institutions such as the Kitovu Cathedral, Kitovu Hospital and Masaka Diocesan Development Organisation (MADDO) The School has a population of over 1000 students ..
SCHOOL VISION, MISSION AND MOTTO
Vision of the College: "Continuous improvement and endless search for knowledge”.
Mission Statement of the College: "To produce self reliant and acceptable citizens who are well formed in character and knowledge acquisition".
School Motto: “For Greater Horizons”.
HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
In September 1922, a Canadian missionary, a disciple of Cardinal Lavigerie, Fr. Adrian Laberge of the White Fathers, founded the school of Kitovu with some pupils from the Lubaga School which was also under the direction of the White Fathers.The beginning was of the bare necessities; three simple buildings of sun-dried bricks served as classrooms and dormitories. The new installation was blessed by His Lordship Bishop Henry Streicher, and it was placed under the protection of St. Henry, patron of the Vicar Apostolic of Uganda.
During the course of the five following years, the school was led by Fr. Laberge, with the help of Mr. Damasus Mukasa, and the help of some other local young men. The good progress of the school attracted the attention of the religious and civil authorities, no wonder that the school grew by leaps and bounds. With regard to pupils' interests, it was necessary to have more space for expansion. Mr. Ignatius Lule of Nyendo readily offered the needed land, and the place he gave was very ideal, since it was on the top of Kitovu hill, from where one could have a very good of the surrounding country side. The space offered was quite ample and admitted the layout of many school buildings with staff quarters and play fields. Near the neighbouring marsh, bricks were made and dried in the sun. in their leisure hours, the pupils carried them on their heads and climbed the more than one mile long journey, unmindful of the fatigue. The enthusiastic pupils did not stop at this arduous work, they added that of leveling the playgrounds, making alleys on the compound, and taking care of the banana plantation, thus assuring an adequate supply of food.
The direction of the school having been offered to the Brothers of Christian Instruction, Brother Charles Jules Poitras founder and Superior of the Brothers in Uganda visited the school accompanied by Bro. Joachim Leo Collerette. The report that the Brother Director Principal gave on what he saw about the school of Fr. Laberge gave a very good impression. In the August of 1927, Bro. Eugene Paquette and Bro. Donat Trudel took over the responsibility of the Kitovu High School. They worked there in close cooperation with Messrs Paul Kigozi and Stephen Kayongo. The pupils who benefited by the leadership of Fr. Laberge felt deeply the absence of one who had been to them a true father. But bit by bit they began to appreciate their new teachers and the run of the school kept on smoothly with the mutual and confident understanding between teachers and pupils and the growing sympathetic climate of exchange of views.
Brother Eugene was able to write to the Superior General in November 1928 and we quote, "The pupils seem generous, and they are devoted and attached to us, and they are pious!"
These were excellent dispositions while awaiting the appeal of Bishop Hinsley, when he visited Kitovu as Delegate Apostolic, in February, 1929, and invited the students to pray that vocations in numbers rise in the Catholic diocesan schools. The Kitovu High School merited a large share in the praises that Brother Louis Arsene, Assistant to the Superior General, gave to the schools of the Brothers of Uganda in 1931. He wrote: "I must speak of the praise given to the Brothers in East Africa by the authorities and the great appreciation that is accorded to them by the African families. The fact which is very encouraging is that the Christian formation of the pupils has always the first place in the pre occupations of the Brothers".
In the course of the years, the fame of St. Henry's school re-assured itself and spread, not only because of its success on the academic line, but also other factors contributing to its good name; such factors were that the sports had a place of honouring the school, and the school's scout troop won the admiration of all the district; the exciting picnics at Nabugabo Lake camp kept alive the enthusiasms of both the teachers and the pupils. In 1936, the Education Department reshuffled the country's system of education in the Primary and Secondary Schools. Seeing that enough schools had sprung up, the Government decided that certain schools like that of Kitovu be transformed into Junior Secondary Schools whose examinations would be organized and set by the Education Department. At this stage St. Henry's had 95 pupils in four classes.
In 1942, after fifteen years of hard work, Bro. Eugene handed over the leadership of the school to his collaborator, Bro. Edmund Labelle. Having for a long time played an important role in the run of the school, Bro. Edmund was well qualified to guide the school in the tradition of excellent work and good spirit. At this juncture, the enrolment of the school showed 170 pupils. It was soon to grow bigger, for the authorities permitted the school to start the school Certificate Course. Succeeding one another in the Head teacher ship of the school came the following Brothers: Bro. George Lord, Bro. Andrew Avellin, Bro. Felix Baribeau, Bro. John Leonard, all were bent on keeping the standard of the college soaring to the Greater Horizons.
The period between 1950 and 1960 saw the college standing on a firm footing in the Cambridge Certificate course. This, however, was not achieved without difficulties, for the growth required the expansion of accommodation such as new classrooms, a decent library, laboratories and dormitories. After careful arrangements, the authorities came to be convinced that St. Henry's because of its sound material organisation, could be permitted to stand on equal terms and share the same privileges as other schools of the same footing in the country. In 1969 was the crowning point of many years of preparation, for the Higher School Certificate course was definitely introduced, and this step accelerated the further growth of the College in every direction material and academic as well as staffing. The result was that, by 1972, the year of St. Henry's Golden Jubilee the school population had passed the mark of 1,000 boarders, with over 80 buildings spread over the large campus.
Such was the intense life which unfurled itself on top of Kitovu hill with Brother Aidan, the headmaster at the helm for over ten years, propelling this important education centre, where rally the studious young men who wish to profit by the chance offered them.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE COLLEGE
The College is administered by three organs namely:
- The Board of Governors.
- The Parent's Teacher's Association.
- The School Administrative Team
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
The Board of Governors is the supreme governing body which oversees the activities of the College. It consists of 18 appointed members from various organizations and the community around the College. Its duties include among others, setting broad policies and objectives of the institution, ensuring the availability of adequate financial resources, approving annual budgets and accounting to stakeholders for the organization’s performance.
PARENT’S TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
The Parents Teachers Association is a body composed of parent’s teachers and staff that is intended to facilitate parental participation in the College. The goals of the associtaion are to support the school, encourage parental involvement, support teachers and organize events within the school. It consists of 10 members who are elected every after a term of two years during the Parents Teachers Association Annual General Meeting held at the College.
SCHOOL ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM
The School Administrative team of the school is headed by Bro. Francis Brian Matsiko assisted by two deputy head teachers; one for administration and discipline and other for academics. The team is also composed of Directors of Studies in different disciplines namely - General Duties, Sciences, Arts and Estates Management. These form the top administration of the College.
Besides the top administration, there are various Heads of Departments for different sections within the school who enable the transfer of information downwards to the other personnel within the school.
The school has a total of XXX staff members who assist the Head teacher in the smooth running of the College. The breakdown of the manpower is as follows:
• Teaching Staff -64 members
• Non Teaching Staff - 24 members
• Support Staff - xxx members
ACADEMICS IN THE COLLEGE
St. Henry's College Kitovu is a leading educational institution in Masaka District committed to raising the students' level of knowledge in a variety of areas. A variety of science and arts subjects is offered in the school’s curriculum and is broken down into different departments that are listed below:
Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Christian Religious Education, computer studies, Economics and Business Education, Fine Art, Geography, History, Language and Literature, Mathematics, Physics,
The Academic System of the College imparts both Arts and Science disciplines to the students who attend classes in the College. The system is broken down into two levels:
•Ordinary Level ('0' Level)
• Advanced Level ('A' Level)
Their are different disciplines (subjects) that are taught at both levels. These include:
• Ordinary Level ('0' Level) 1. English, 2. Mathematics, 3. Biology, 4. Chemistry, 5. Physics,
6. Geography , 7. History, 8. Christian Religious Education, 9. Fine Art, 10. Commerce,
11. Entreprenuership, 12. Technical Drawing, 13. Agriculture, 14. Computer Studies,
• Advanced Level ('A' Level) 1. General Paper, 2. Mathematics, 3. Biology, 4. Chemistry, 5. Physics
6. Geography, 7. History, 8. Divinity, 9. Fine Art, 10. Economics, 11. Technical Drawing, 12. Agriculture.
STUDENTS LIFE IN THE COLLEGE
Student life in the College varies from one student to another. The activities vary and are engaging as most of the remarkable students we have not only work hard in class but also take part in other activities like sports and athletes, music and drama and many other student based activities. The College has a population of slightly over 1000 students attending their Uganda Certificate and Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education levels. The Students body is led and managed by a Prefects Council which is led by the Head Prefect.
This is a structured body of student leaders comprising 43 members who are liable to change, in case of new challenges faced by the school administration. The board is spearheaded by the patron, Mr.Kasozi Muga, who happens to be the deputy headmaster and is devoted to his work in this area. Leadership in the school is open to all. Therefore students are enrolled into leadership through the following measures.
Democracy is highly upheld during this exercise. Written applications by the aspiring candidates are forwarded to the Electoral Committee comprising of staff members. The aspiring candidates are screened by the Electoral Committee which imposes challenging questions to prove the candidates' capability to the posts in which they propose to stand. Candidates who qualify for the standing in the tentative posts are listed after satisfying the Electoral Committee. Successful candidates are forwarded to the school body for a campaigning exercise in which they are accompanied by a group of supporting teams to backup the presentation of their manifestos. The voting exercise is ushered in and supervised by the school administration. Results are promulgated on the same day by the administration to the convened school at large. The successful candidates are sworn in ceremony during the St. Henry’s Day Celebrations by the head of the electoral commission. A handover ceremony that involves the transfer of office from the predecessors and the cordial party crowns it all.
Different prefects are assigned duty on particular weeks. Weekly meetings are held throughout the term and are liable to attendance of the headmaster, the patron, the masters on duty and all the prefects. The majority of the prefects are from Senior 2 to Senior 6. The office of timekeeper is particularly left for students from S2. Numerous departments exist for all prefects which only meet when need arises. The close coordination with the administration is mainly through the patron of the prefectorate or the masters on duty.
Clubs and Societies at St. Henry's College Kitovu provide the students with an opportunity to develop and nurture their hobbies and interests into important life skills. This is an important aspect of the co-curricular activities at Gayaza. Each club or society has a Patron who is a teacher and he/she provides leadership in addition to liaising with the central administration. The Clubs and Societies at Gayaza include:
• The Interact Club, • The Legion of Mary, • The Scripture Union, • Debating club, • Computer club, • Writers' club, • Youth Alive club, • The Wildlife Club, • French Club, • Interact Club.
The School has a number of facilities that are entice students for a condusive academic excellence as well as the growth of an individual all round. These include:
• Spacious Classes, • The Library, •The Computer Centre - With VSAT Internet Dish, • The Dormitories
• The Dining Hall, • The School Chapel .
St. Henry’s College Kitovu
P. O. Box 64 Masaka
Tel: (+256) 0382 275669
Bukuumi Secondary School (St. Edward’s Secondary School), started some years back as a Junior Secondary school it was taken over by the Brothers at the beginning of 1948. I understand that in 1972 those present at the school celebrated the silver Jubilee of the Brother’ presence at the school. Only those who saw what it was at the end of 1947, and what it is now can appreciate the gigantic work and progress achieved by the following Headmasters and their staffs: Brother James Monette, Brother Arthur Roy, Brother Peter Katanga, Brother Anthony Kyemwa, and Brother Leonard Byankya. St. Edward’s starting from scratch has risen to a standard which makes it the pride of the area which it is serving.
On February of 1945, marks the humble beginning of Bukuumi Secondary School, by then directed by the White Fathers. On January of 1948, the Brothers of Christian Instruction took over this school. Brother Maurice the Provincial Superior of the Brothers at that time entrusted the direction of the school to Brother James Monette. Some months later, on May 24th, the school was officially opened and given the name St. Edwards in honour of the patron of the Bishop of Lubaga, the Rt. Rev. Bishop Michaud.
In 1948, Brother Arthur Roy replaced Brother James Monette as headmaster. Further initiatives were undertaken: many new buildings were erected for the pupils: a new residence for the Brothers and staff houses for the other teachers was constructed. The setting up of an electric motor and pump for the water supply completed the material installation of the establishment.
Brother James Monette returned to Bukuumi as headmaster in 1956. One of his special care was making the school compound beautiful. Not long after, lawns and flowers began to embellish the compound. As there was much land at the disposal of the pupils, Brother James started to interest the pupils in agriculture. The slopes of the land next to the school began to be dressed with a banana plantation, and fields of potatoes, maize, and groundnuts. The step adequately solved the important problems of satisfying the keen appetite of the growing youths, and providentially taught the pupils the elementary but solid foundations of agriculture, so much needed for the young men of this country.
When Brother James Monette was transferred to Bukoba (Tanzania) in 1961, Brother Peter Katanga took over the leadership of the school, and was assisted by Brothers Paul Letarte and Parisio Waduuma and other teachers. Bro. Peter walked in the foot steps of his predecessor and led the school to further progress. The result was that St. Edward’s Secondary School reached the standard of sitting for the Cambridge School Certificate in 1968.
At the beginning of 1966, Bro. Peter Katanga left the school and went to Mutolere Secondary school. Bro. Paul Letarte became headmaster at St. Edward’s until the arrival of Bro. Anthony Kyemwa in January 1968. That same year, the Government undertook the enlarging of St. Edward’s Secondary School. But the new headmaster had hardly started work on the new project, when in January 1969, he was called to lead St. Mary’s College, Kisubi. Bro. Leonard Byankya replaced Bro. Anthony and had the pleasure of carrying out the gigantic scheme of extending St. Edward’s, working hand in hand with Bro. Paul Letarte, the school bursar, who had a long experience in handling the material side of the College.
Twenty-five years after the arrival of the Brothers, St. Edward’s was now able to stand shoulder to shoulder with other Secondary Schools of the same category in Uganda. Situated away from the big centres of the country, the school has served and still serves this far away region. The local people of this region are conscious of the services rendered by the school to their youths and in no way be grudge the gratitude they owe to the Brothers and their other collaborators, the lay teachers.
When the Bro. Provincial was constrained to remove the Brothers because of shortage of staff, he had to accede to the pressure from the religious and parental protestations, so that the concerted assault won the day and the Brothers stayed at St. Edward’s School; even if the number of the Brothers at Bukuumi was limited, still they could carry on rendering services. Their devotedness has impelled them and carried them through the last quarter of a century, with unfaltering ardoura
In 1967, Kasasa centre ceased to be a juniorate of the young aspirants to the society of the Brothers. The following year, the Noviciate was removed from Kasasa. Therefore, the place was ready to be used for a new venture, which was to turn the locality into an ordinary private secondary school (boarding) for any boy leaving primary seven, but not qualified to enter a government aided senior secondary school. On January 16th 1967, Kasasa opened its doors to 96 candidates who had successfully passed the interview. Senior one started with a double stream of 46 pupils in each class. Besides, Kasasa phased off the two last years of junior secondary (call it Primary Seven and Primary Eight). After a two day official inspection by the Ministry of Education authorities in 1970, Kasasa secondary school was approved to sit for O-Level subjects for the East African Certificate of Education. The academic results, though humble in themselves, have been able to compare well with those of other schools in its standard. Kasasa can humbly boast of having some pioneers of 1967, in Makerere University. St. Charles Lwanga has been headed by a number of Head teachers. Its prospects are rising high and the new era of administration is trying to revive the past glory. The intake is taking shape and plight of the school which is steadily stemming up. All the above are being engineered by the proper human resource management. Special thanks go to the provincial administration. The school has managed to educated prominent figures some of them working in Uganda government as Ministers. Most of the products from this school are educated morally, intellectually and physically.